Our scheduled reopening date is Sept. 26.
We look forward to when we are able to return to experiencing the joy of live theatre together. The safety of our audiences, staff, and volunteers has been utmost in determining exactly when to reopen. Our benchmarks for reopening safely are two weeks of continued decrease in local COVID-19 cases and a positivity rate of 3-4%. Here are the guidelines we will follow when we return to live performance at the end of September.
Reopening Guidelines Summary
(full copy available below)
- AUDIENCE BASICS FOR PURCHASING SEATS AND ATTENDING A SHOW
- If you have a subscription voucher from 2019-20 or a gift certificate that you’d like to use, you must contact the box office directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase seats.
- Sales close 24 hours prior to the performance. There will be no sales at the door.
- We are practicing physically distanced seating. When purchasing seats online, please follow the detailed instructions for choosing your seats.
- We reserve the right to move your seats if necessary for safety purposes.
- The lobby will open 30 minutes before showtime. Please do not arrive earlier.
- Your temperature will be taken before entry.
- Appropriate masks will be required while you are in the building.
- Once you check in you will be escorted to your seat/s.
- There will be no bar service or intermission.
- Performance length will be 75-80 minutes.
- TESTING: Staff and contract workers must be tested for COVID-19 every two weeks until further notice.
- VOLUNTEER/STAFF/STUDENT ENTRY: Everyone gets a temperature check. Everyone answers a series of COVID-related questions upon entry.
- VOLUNTEER/STAFF/STUDENTS WHILE IN BUILDING: Mask-wearing is mandatory in all public spaces and when not alone in offices. All must wash hands frequently and maintain proper distancing. Greenroom use is limited to brief meal consumption only, with a maximum of four people at a time. Office hours will be staggered for multiple-employee offices.
- AUDIENCES: Showtimes will be staggered for each theatre (7:30/8:00 and 2:00/2:30), as will lobby entry times (7:00/7:45 and 1:30/2:15). We will use reservations, but no tickets. All seats in both theatres will be reserved. Audiences will also be temperature-checked and answer a brief questionnaire. Each group will be ushered directly to seats after entry. Restroom usage will be monitored: 3 at a time per ladies’ room, 2 at a time per men’s room. There will be no post-show meet-and-greet for the immediate future. Playbills will be digital-only for 1st phase; hard copies will be distributed in 2nd phase.
- FRONT OF HOUSE: Staff will operate as Front-of-House staff through first two phases of reopening.
Bar will operate as follows: It will be closed for 1st phase of reopening. It will feature closed-lid drinks only for 2nd phase. Phase 3 will be fully operational. Presidents Club will be closed for first phase of reopening, but open with limited service for Phase 2.
- Upon re-opening, BOX OFFICE will operate by phone and internet only until further notice.
- STUDENTS/CLASSES: The same entry and use protocols will apply. No visitors will be allowed. Restroom use will be staggered.
- SANITIZATION: Extra cleanings will occur throughout the day—hard surfaces, restrooms, etc.– and between the use of each theatre and rehearsal space. Hand sanitizer stations will be positioned liberally throughout the building and at each audience entrance/exit.
- SIGNAGE: Prominent professional signage and floor markings will help all audience and personnel follow protocols.
Thank you to Venice Theatre’s Re-Opening Task Force
- Madeline McGrail, Task Force Chair/Human Resources & Volunteer Director
- Kristofer Geddie, General Manager and Director of Diversity
- Brad Wages, Education & Outreach Representative
- Keith McClimens, Box Office Representative
- Lisa Million, Production Team Representative
- Judy Livingston, Front of House Volunteers Representative
- Nick Pachota, EMT and state COVID Task Force Member, Member of Venice City Council
Special thanks to Marty Cunningham MSN RN, Infection Prevention Manager, Venice Regional Bayfront Health
Keeping the health and safety of our students and community foremost in our decision making, Venice Theatre has transitioned to virtual classes. In-person classes will resume at a later date.
And, our virtual classes have been so successful that we plan to keep them as part of our regular curriculum moving forward!
Click the links below to read updates we’ve shared during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- REOPENING ANNOUNCEMENT
- Aug. 17, 2020 – Murray on ABC News
- Aug. 10, 2020
- June 29, 2020
- A note to 2019-20 Subscribers
- May 18, 2020
- May 4, 2020
- May 1: June Class/Camp Cancelations
- April 20, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- March 30, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- March 20, 2020
- March 18, 2020
- Presidents Club Closing and Dinner Cancellation
- aactWORLDFEST and Other Cancellations
- Update for aactWORLDFEST Volunteers
- Update for Students
- March 16, 2020
- Guys and Dolls Cancellation
- March 13, 2020 – Theatre Closing
- March 11, 2020
- March 2, 2020